Attendance and Punctuality
Contacting the Academy to report a child's absence
Please inform us of any absence before 8:30am on every day of the absence, by calling 01279 866280, selecting Option 1 and following the guidance detailed in the message.
Failing to call before the start of Home Group will mean you will receive a text or call from us, to check on your child, which you will need to respond to. It is a safeguarding requirement that we can confirm where every student is during school hours.
The timings of the Academy day
Students who are late to registration will receive a C3 after school detention for the following day. Persistent lateness may hold further sanctions, meeting with parents and a referral to our Attendance Team.
Students must additionally ensure that they are punctual to all lessons as poor punctuality to lessons can result in a Subject Detention. Lateness to lessons will not be tolerated as it interrupts teaching and learning.
Excellent attendance is vital. Evidence shows that there is a direct link between poor attendance and underachievement. Students not in school are more at risk of failing to achieve. In addition, they run a greater risk of being involved in crime, a victim of crime and putting themselves at risk.
The law requires that parents/carers are responsible for ensuring that their children attend school and are on time.
Attendance and Punctuality
We expect your child to attend the Academy every day and on time unless:
- They are too ill to attend;
- They have a medical appointment that can only be made in Academy hours;
- Other extreme circumstances where permission has been agreed by the Principal.
This is where your child has been absent and the absence has not been explained, or we do not consider the reason for the absence to be acceptable.
This occurs when your child misses school without authorisation or registers for school but does not then attend lessons. Any truancy will be followed by a sanction, either a Phase Leader detention or even ‘internal exclusion’.
Leave of absence in Term Time
We do not authorise holidays during term time, ever. If you require your child to be absent from the Academy for extreme circumstances you will need to request a leave of absence application form from our Attendance Officer. You will need to give at least two weeks’ notice.
What will we do to monitor attendance and punctuality?
- We will contact you on the first day of absence, at home or work, if you have not previously informed us of the reason why your daughter is absent;
- Send you an absence letter if we have not been able to contact you after 3 days;
- Send you attendance and punctuality statistics each half term as part of our progress reports;
- Contact you and arrange a meeting to discuss any concerns we have over attendance and persistent issues with punctuality.
Fixed Penalty Notices
- We reserve the right to issue a fixed penalty notice if students are persistently late to the Academy.
- Any parent who takes their child on a leave of absence without Academy authorisation will be sent a fixed penalty notice upon the child’s return;
- Any student with less than 90% attendance with any unauthorised absence will be sent a warning letter and if no improvement is made then a fixed penalty notice will be issued.
Guidance for parents/carers
- Reinforce our expectations regarding full attendance and excellent punctuality with your son/daughter;
- Support Academy staff when we take action over punctuality or truancy, for example, issuing detentions;
- Let us know of any change in contact details immediately; Contact the Academy to inform us about any absence, the same day if possible;
- Ensure that your child completes any work that has been sent home or that they catch up with any work that they have missed.